The Beach Store was the first substantial Second Settlement building. It was built in 1825 as the Commissariat Store but following flooding in 1834 it was adapted to a corn grinding mill.
In 1841 it was converted to a guardhouse amid fears of convict rebellion. During the early Third Settlement it was converted to a customs shed and coffin room. Today it is a museum displaying the natural history of Norfolk, the archaeology of Kingston and the history of Norfolk Island.